We're committed to ensuring our work is both cost-effective and environmentally efficient
For us, sustainability is about being efficient in the use of assets and resources, our materials and our supply chain. We plan for the long term to take account of environmental and socio-economic risks and opportunities.
Greening Government Commitments
We have worked to meet, and improve, on the Greening Government Commitments (GGC). We set long-term performance targets, measured from a 2010 baseline to 2020.
Over that period, we achieved:
- a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 70% (target 49%)
- a reduction in the number of domestic business flights of 57% (target 30%)
- a reduction in paper use of 65% (target 50%)
- a reduction in the amount of waste going to landfill, now at 0% (target 10%)
We are working to reduce the carbon emissions produced by our logistics services. We’re doing this by:
- providing a scheduled service that groups together deliveries for shared destinations
- using efficient air freight shipment methods wherever possible
- mixing our use of land, air and sea transport to minimise CO2 emissions
- ensuring our fleet uses the most up-to-date low-emission vehicles
Additionally, we also manufacture bespoke shipping crates on-site to reduce the shipping weight. Our timber products are sourced from Forest Stewardship Council or Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification approved sources.
We are a registered participant in the EU Code of Conduct for Data centres. This includes meeting energy efficiency standards in the way we maintain our data centres.
We are also committed to meeting the Greening ICT Programme and the UK government’s ICT Greening Strategy.
Global Utilities Monitoring (GUM) is an ongoing project looking at monitoring and reducing energy consumption across the FCDO estate. It has been designed, built, configured and project managed by us at Hanslope Park in collaboration with staff overseas.
We’re currently collecting data from two overseas Missions. Working with them, we’re examining their energy use to see if changes in behaviour could reduce energy consumption.
This environmentally responsible end to end solution is designed to improve the life of our machinery, reduce costs and reduce the amount of power used.